Tanahat or Tanadeh Monastery is one of medieval Armenia’s most important religious and cultural centers (mentioned as early as 8th century).
Its main church, Surb Stepanos, was built between the years 1273 to 1279 under the patronage of the Proshian family. The Proshian emblem, an eagle clutching a lamb in its talons, is carved on the southern wall of the church.
Some scholars believe that the Monastery housed Gladzor University (founded in 1282), the most prominent educational institution of its day in Medieval Armenia, where Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Theology, Geometry, Astronomy, Chronology, Miniature Painting and other subjects were taught.
Famous medieval students of the university included the historian Stepanos Orbelian, the philosophers Yesayi Nchetsi and Hovhan Vorotnetsi, the architect Momik and the miniature painters Toros Taronatsi
v. Vernashen, Vayots Dzor Province, Armenia